Thursday, October 9, 2014

Week Three Journal Two: Technology Integration

This week I had the opportunity to examine the Technology Integration Matrix. This matrix shows how students and teachers being comfortable with technology can change the way we use it in education.

As of right now I am both a student and a teacher/teacher in training. I am working on my degree in Library Science and Media at Ashford University. I also work as a LAP paraeducator in the school district near where I live. As a student at Ashford I am continually preparing to teach my own lessons using technology. As a paraeducator, I am constantly looking for new ways that technology can supplement the things that my students are learning.

The Technology Integration Matrix looks like this:


As a student I would say that my learning environment reflects a authentic characteristic "Students use technology tools to solve real-world problems meaningful to them rather than working on artificial assignments." In my classes I am consistently creating and finding lesson plans and tools to use in my future library classroom.

As a paraeducator I feel that I fall somewhere between Adoption and Adaption. The main difference between the two is the independence level of the students. At the beginning of the year I have to direct my 3rd grade students in the use of technology. Many of my students have not had much access to a computer beforehand. By the end of the year however, my students become more independent and are sometimes able to choose the tool by which they will learn a skill.

As a teacher in training however, I have found so many resources that I a dying to start using in my future classroom. Many of these resources will make it possible for me to Transform my curriculum into a fully technology integrated curriculum. The students will be encouraged to use the technology available to them in many creative ways. I will also be able to teach many lessons that I may not have previously had access to before the use of technology. Visit my Pinterest page for many ways to use technology in education.

No comments:

Post a Comment